Recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of over 2000 lawyers in 27 locations around the world, we work with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage for our clients.
Always pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved, we are reshaping the legal market.
- 27 offices globally;
- One of the largest international legal networks in the Asia region with 500+ partners and more than 2000 lawyers;
- Asia-Pacific Law Firm of the Year*;
- Best Law Firm (revenue over $200m)**;
- Our clients are a mix of global financial and corporate powerhouses to the new industry-makers and all levels of government (some for over 200 years); and
- We are the only law firm able to practice Australian, PRC, Hong Kong and English law under one integrated legal brand.
The King & Wood Mallesons network extends across the following regions:
- Asia Pacific (Australia, Mainland China including Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore)
- Middle East
- North America
Applications open: 18 June 2018
Applications close: 15 July 2018
How to apply: Via our online application system at http://careers.kwm.com/en
Seasonal Clerkship Program
We offer clerkships so that you get a clear picture of what it’s like to be a lawyer at King & Wood Mallesons. You’ll get to know our people, the way we like to work, our culture, practice areas, clients and more.
We’ve designed a program to help you make the most of your time with us. During your clerkship, you’ll learn:
- The day-to-day skills to get you started – taking instructions, meeting with clients, drafting memos and documents, managing your practice and professional relationships.
- The core practice teams at King & Wood Mallesons – who they are, what they do, how they’re structured, the clients they work for, and of course, your role within them.
- Our culture – working within your team, you’ll be exposed to (and encouraged) to get actively involved in the many activities and events that help create our unique culture.
- Our people – you’ll find that people from every part of the business will help you along, sharing their knowledge, and ensuring you have everything you need to fit in, and do well.
Clerks usually work in one or two different practice groups, depending on the length of the clerkship.
You’ll be allocated a supervisor in each of your practice groups and you’ll work closely with the partners, senior associates and solicitors in that team. It’s a hands-on role, so you’ll not just be watching from the sidelines.
Our people have the opportunity to get involved in the many social and sporting activities that go on in the firm as well as the broader community in which we live.
Our graduates participate in a targeted development program, we have a framework that cultivates valuable skills and that sets them up for success now and in the future.
What you’ll learn
The program provides a practical business foundation for junior lawyers. You’ll receive:
- Meaningful work covering a wide range of practice areas
- Client contact and an in-depth understanding of how they operate in a commercial and regulatory environment
- The opportunity to work with a range of partners, senior associates and solicitors in different practice groups
- A practical understanding of areas of our legal practice
- A comprehensive knowledge of the firm, our technology, our resources, our processes and, of course, the people you’ll work with.
As part of the Graduate Program, we also offer a Practical Legal Training (PLT) course with the College of Law to our Australian Law Graduates, ensuring that you meet the requirements for admission to legal practice.
The program also promotes and supports the mobility of our staff across our offices by giving you the opportunity to apply to go on exchange in one of our interstate or overseas offices. Through this, you are able to access a greater choice and variety of destinations and on-the-job experience.
*Source: Chambers Asia-Pacific Awards 2018 - https://www.chambersandpartners.com/chambers-asia-pacific-awards-2018
**Source: AFR Client Choice Awards 2018 - https://clientchoiceawards.net/winners/