About the firm
Allens is a leading international law firm with offices across Australia and Asia, with partners, lawyers and corporate services employees across Asia and Australia.
Through an integrated alliance with Linklaters, we provide clients with access to market-leading lawyers through a global network of 39 offices across 28 countries, including to emerging markets in Africa, Asia and South America.
We work with many of the world’s leading organisations – including 55 of the world’s top 100 companies and more than 75 of Australia’s top 100 companies.
Additionally, Allens has been named Australian Law Firm of the Year for 2017 by leading international legal directory Chambers. In 2018, we were named GradAustralia's Top Legal Employer of choice as voted for by university students.
A strategic alliance
Our integrated alliance with Linklaters puts us ahead of the market – we are the only firm in Australia and Asia to have a formal relationship with a UK Magic Circle firm.
For our clients, this integration of our complementary practices means a seamless service. Our global teams act as one, sharing their knowledge, best-practice approaches and talents to help solve our clients' most complex problems, seamlessly.
For you, it means even more possibilities. You’ll work alongside some of the best lawyers in the world and be involved in some of the most significant legal matters – both on the global stage and close to home. While both Allens and Linklaters excel in their markets, we are stronger together. Having international counterparts allows us to experience new things, develop new thinking and constantly evolve.
A new career deal
We listened to the market
The way our clients think about their businesses is changing, the demographic face of Australia is changing, and the shape of international markets is changing. One of the hall marks of our success as a firm over 190 years is that when it is time to change, we change. The time to change is now.
We listened to our people
Survey results from over 500 employees, partners and alumni across the country expressed demand for a new career model of the future, where is person is supported to build sustainable careers and progress through the firm at their own speed.
What we offer
We are setting a new standard and providing opportunities for lawyers to build fulfilling and rewarding careers, now and in the future. The new career model is good news for our talented lawyers. Why?
- It focuses on merit rather than seniority, meaning you have greater control over your career trajectory
- Clear expectations through to partner gives you greater transparency over career milestones
- There will be increased responsibility across all aspects of client and practice management
- More active management of careers and development experiences will you in your career, no matter where you see yourself in the future.
What we expect
Our environment requires new and different skills, and the new career framework sets out our expectations at each stage of your career. These are in addition to the attributes we all need to demonstrate: proactivity, strategic thinking, commerciality, flexibility, self-awareness and career ownership
It’s a two way deal
Working at Allens is a two-way street. We offer you the possibility of a rewarding career, challenging work, access to strategic minds, an extensive learning program and the opportunity to be the best you can be. In return, we ask you to show initiative, work hard, demonstrate your commerciality and be resilient. It’s about working together to make possibilities happen.
We offer clerkships in each of our Australian offices and recruit the majority of our graduates through our clerkship programs. a great way to experience first-hand the type of work you could do as a lawyer and to find out if a career at Allens is for you.
All our Australian offices offer clerkships that coincide with most university holidays. We recruit from universities across Australia but also welcome applications from international students who are eligible to work in Australia.
Gain first-hand exposure to life as a lawyer at Allens. Get involved in work as soon as you set foot in the firm. Work alongside lawyers and partners; learn from their feedback and enjoy their support. And get a feel for who we are and why we’re different.
You’ll come away with all the insights you need to make an informed decision about your future. We offer a range of experiences across a number of different practice groups and sectors.
Here’s a quick run-down of what you can look forward to.
- an induction program that introduces you to our people and the work we do;
- on-the-job training with support from a partner and junior lawyer who’ll act as your supervisor and buddy;
- the opportunity to work with many of Australia’s and the world’s top 100 companies;
- performing tasks similar to those of a junior lawyer;
- an opportunity to hear first hand from our partners and Corporate Services teams on topics ranging from Allens as a business to Allens in the community;
- sports and social events, where you will really get to know the people of Allens;
- the chance to get involved in our community work; and
- the opportunity to build a network of peers.
If you are interested in exploring opportunities to undertake an international clerkship over summer, we encourage you to apply for a clerkship with our alliance partner, Linklaters. For more information about the program and how you can apply, visit: careers.linklaters.com/en/early-careers/your-application.
Our graduate program has been named Top Legal Program in GradAustralia's Top 40 for 2018 as voted by our graduates. Through our program you will embark on a journey of lifelong professional development. You’re in control of your own learning, so you’ll have the flexibility to drive your career with your development supervisor and performance coach as ongoing support.
Our graduate program that will not only enhance your technical expertise, but that will equip you with the business development and interpersonal skills required by all lawyers who are serious about building a practice.
You will complete two twelve-month rotations in two different practice groups before you specialise. Our rotations will allow you build the kind of expertise, trust and relationships that enable you to grow and succeed from an early stage in your career.
You’ll also benefit from:
- an intensive induction program to kick-start your career;
- a development supervisor, who’ll act as your mentor throughout your rotations, to ensure you gain optimum experience and client exposure;
- A dedicated Performance Coach helping you to accelerate your on the job performance and progression
- weekly in-house legal education seminars that give you a solid grounding in the basic technical knowledge all lawyers must have, whatever their practice group;
- ongoing skill development workshops run by internal and external providers;
- a broad range of work that exposes you to different areas of law, different teams and different clients;
- on-the-job training supported by a development supervisor and a buddy;
- videos, podcasts and online training workshops;
- development/career planning; and
- an in-house Practical Legal Training program designed by the ANU and tailored specifically to Allens. You’ll aim to be admitted to the supreme court at the end of your first year.
Does Allens offer deferment of a graduate offer?
Allens will offer deferrals for graduate positions for one year, on a discretionary basis.
Are graduate offers in Melbourne made solely to previous clerks?
The majority of graduate offers at Allens are made through the priority offer process, according to the LIV guidelines. From time to time, we will make offers outside this process and will advertise these opportunities via our careers website (www.allens.com.au/careers)
From time to time our other offices do offer graduate positions.
Are graduate offers in Sydney made solely to previous clerks?
The majority of graduate offers at Allens are made through the priority offer process, according the Law Society of NSW. We will choose to run an open market graduate campaign if positions become available and we will advertise this on our website and social media.
What other opportunities and experiences does Allens offer its graduates e.g. secondments or travel opportunities?
We offer secondments across Allens offices in Australia and throughout Asia, as well as international assignments to Linklaters offices around the world. For our graduates in their second year, we offer four secondment positions to the London office, one position to the Singapore office and one position to the Hong Kong office.
If you opt for a client secondment, you might find yourself working at one of the world’s top 100 companies, or a pro-bono secondment could see you working with one of our many community partners across the region.
Key Dates 2018
Clerkship applications open: Monday, 18 June
Clerkship applications close: Sunday, 15 July
Interviews: August / September
Offers made: Wednesday, 26 September
What is Allens' approach to pro bono
Pro bono work is a valued part of life at Allens. Our goal is to provide free legal assistance to those in need and to a range of not-for-profit and charitable clients. We were a foundation signatory to the National Pro Bono Resource Centre Target for pro bono work, and our lawyers commit to an average of at least 35 hours of pro bono work per year, as well as secondments with some of our community partners. Join us and you'll have the opportunity to apply your skills and contribute to causes and organisations.
Our pro bono clients include:
- Amnesty International Australia;
- the Arts Law Centre of Australia;
- the Australian Indigenous Education Foundation;
- the Bicycle Institute;
- Bush Heritage Australia;
- ChildFund Australia;
- the Human Rights Law Centre;
- the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation;
- the Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre; and
What is Allens’ approach to the continuing education of its employees?
The learning never stops at Allens – which is something that our employees at all levels value. It’s woven into our culture and makes our people better leaders as well as better legal practitioners.
Along with formal technical training and development, we offer a mentor program, a buddy program and support to pursue further education outside the firm.
Then there’s the constant on-the-job learning you can expect. No two matters are ever the same and we’re known for finding clear and effective solutions to the most complex problems. Plus, we don’t operate in silos. We collaborate and share knowledge across practice areas.